NFL accomplishments include:
- First pure punter drafted in the first round (23rd player overall in 1973)
- Played in seven Pro Bowls (six consecutively), most ever for a punter
- Played in seven AFC Championship games
- Played for three Super Bowl-winning teams, punting 14 times (tied for third for most Super Bowl punts in a career), including a 41.9 average (third highest average recorded for a career)
- Led NFL in punting three times
- NFL postseason record for most punts in a career with 111 punts
- NFL postseason record for highest punting average in a game with 56.0 average
(includes a 71-yard punt — the third longest postseason punt in NFL history)
- Pro Bowl record for most punts in a career with 33 punts
- First punter to win the Golden Toe Award (presented by Pro Football Weekly)
- “Hang-time” came into the NFL lexicon during his tenure. One of his punts hit the hanging scoreboard in the Louisiana Superdome. Another was tested for helium.
- Doubled as team’s emergency quarterback.
- Never missed a game (played in 207 consecutive games in 14 year career).
- No blocked kicks in his first five NFL seasons. Had only three of 1049 punts blocked in his career (finished career with streak of 619 unblocked punts)
- Placed 57 punts inside 20-yard line during 1984-85 seasons
- Averaged under 40 yards per punt only once in career (42.4 career average)